Sunday, April 18, 2010

A 'Tutorial' Of Sorts

The fact that I'm doing anything closely resembling a tutorial is laughable, as I am just certainly not an expert. But, I'm mostly doing this for Aunt Deb. If you're anything like me, pictures are helpful. I'm very visual and find step-by-step pics work so much better than just a list of instructions. So this is a guide about how I do applique on my embroidery machine. This would be the same for just monogramming and embroidery as well, just minus the fabric. Here goes...

First, I start by hooping my stabilizer. For this shirt I used cut-away stabilizer, sometimes I use tear-away.
Then I mark the center point of my shirt, so that I can line it up on the hoop.
I don't always, but lately I have been using a spray adhesive to help the shirt stay in place on the hoop. I really like this one, Sulky KK2000. It doesn't have horrible fumes, it's not overly sticky or leave a residue behind, and you only need a small amount.
Then I get my shirt centered on the hoop and pin it in place for extra security, to keep from slipping. I always use pins, even if I don't also use a spray adhesive.
I get my hoop on my machine being sure to pull up all the excess of the shirt, so that nothing gets caught under the hoop in stitching.
I then stitch out the first run so that I know where to place the fabric.
After the first run is stitched out I place down my fabric. I usually just hold the fabric in place with my hand while stitching, although you could use a spray adhesive at this point too. I then stitch another run.
This next step became much easier after my MIL gave me a pair of applique scissors for Christmas. Until that point I didn't even know such a thing existed, although I was confident that it should. I would use regular scissors and try to invent a way to make things easier while cutting. These scissors are awesome. Oh, so the point of the next step is to cut around the entire applique. I like the leave the slightest amount of fabric on the outside, since I know my next stitch will cover it, and it makes me feel like it is more secure.
Here is my applique fully cut out.
I then get the hoop back on the machine, this time with WSS (water soluble stabilizer) or topping on top. It looks like the picture is blurred, but that's the topping. I then start the next run of stitches.
This isn't a step at all. I just happened to look down while I was stitching and laughed. This is pretty much what the front of my machine looks like every time I'm stitching something out. I have large fabric scissors, small scissors, embroidery scissors, applique scissors, a seam ripper and tweezers.
Back to the last few steps. After I have stitched out all the remaining portions I then remove the hoop, then tear off all the WSS on top.
Then I turn it inside out and trim the stabilizer around my design. This is another time I use my applique scissors.
I like to follow up every design with a quick pressing. I like to make things crisp and neat.
And there you have it! A finished product.
This was an order I did a few weeks ago for a couple sisters. I hope I didn't bore everyone to tears. Aunt Deb, I hope this was somewhat helpful for you too!

3 comments:

  1. For your first tutorial, great job!!! I just got Deb set up with a Gmail account, so I hope she leaves you a comment soon. I'm glad the scissors work. I love the new look of the blog. Mine needs some work soon. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate,
    You are truly an inspiration to me!!! You really explained well enough that I am going to try this method. Love the new look on the blog. Thanks for the tutorial; I hope it's the first of many. Keep up the good work! Love, Aunt Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the new look of the blog and the font....Super Cute. So glad to know I am doing my applique the same way...and I couldn't live without KK2000. I use it on everything.

    ReplyDelete